Monday, November 12, 2012

Service Learning

Today's Date: 11/12/2012
Hi this is Jill here! For my service learning project I will reflect on the volunteer work I have done monthly since I was a sophomore at the local VFW, at my job, and the bake sale I will be holding Saturday, November 17th, 2012 for Food For Friends.

* What is Food For Friends? Food For Friends is an fundraising organization which helps feed the hungry within our community. Every year around Thanksgiving my job, Stop & Shop, does a fundraiser where customers buy a 'turkey', as in they donate $1, $3, $5 to put their name on a piece of paper for us to hang up and show off, where the proceeds go to FFF. Customers can also purchase a box for $10 which goes to help feeding a family. $5 itself feeds 40 people!

So this upcoming Saturday I will be putting together the first Bake Sale at Stop & Shop. At this Bake Sale I will be selling cupcakes which I will cook and have asked my friends and coworkers to help with. So far I have 13 people included in this Bake Sale. I will be selling cupcakes and all of the $$$ I end up making will go towards FFF. Along with the 13 people, I also have an old family friend who has a cupcake business of her own donating cupcakes for this cause.

I feel that you may think that this isn't THAT good of a project to do for Drug Testing for Welfare, but we as a group decided that the best we could do was to help feed those who need it and this is what I am doing with my bake sale! I'm scared and excited about it because this is the first BIG event I will be putting together on my own.

I will reflect on this once it is complete!!! Hopefully with pictures included!


* Besides this bake sale I am putting together I volunteer every month at the VFW here in Beachmont with my family. I am the Secretary of the Ladies Auxiliary. What we do every month is serve our veterans meals that may be catered or buffet style. We also get a dj and let them enjoy themselves. I enjoy doing this every month because I have a lot of fun with my family, as well as the veterans and their family throughout the night. They love coming out and sharing the night with family and friends!



Today's Date: 12/3/2012
I'm back to reflect on my Bake Sale! We sold cupcakes, bags of cookies, and bags of brownies for $1 a piece. I had 18 people agree to participate and about 13 of them fell through! We had about 300 total cupcakes and then bags to sell throughout the day as people stopped by and dropped them off. I begun this bake sale at 10am and started cleaning up at 4pm. We made more $ than we had sold! There were many generous donations from $1-$10 where customers refused to accept anything in return. My sister & I had stayed up 'til 3am the day of to finish up these cupcakes and signs. I'm thankful for all the help I had and for my baby sister!

Facebook event link here: Cupcakes for Food For Friends

Pictures throughout the prepping...

1st - do the cupcakes with all the help you can get for as long as you could get
6pm-10pm+


cleaning up...



the signs...


the pile...


No comments:

Post a Comment